Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom  CNN  March 9, 2010 1:00pm-3:00pm EST

1:00 pm
about $2,000. thelma gutierrez, cnn, los angeles. >> that is digging deeper. it is go time. you'll see in a second that i obviously went shopping in ali's closet. "cnn newsroom" continues right now, with ali velshi. >> tony, if i looked as good as you do, i wouldn't have to go shopping. i'm ali velshi, i'll be with you for the next two hours, today and every weekday. i'll take every important topic that we cover, and i'm going to try to break it down for you. i'll try and give you a level of detail that will help you make important decisions about your voting, your spending, your safety and security, and about your safety right now. here's what i've got on the rundown. a prius owner says a stuck gas pedal took him on a run-away ride on a california highway. but, wait a second, gas pedals weren't supposed to be the problem with the prius. those were brake problems. is this a brand new issue for toyota to deal with? because if so, it's a big one. a car that doesn't stop at 90 is
1:01 pm
every driver's problem. also on the rundown, a volatile topic on a roller-coaster ride across the nation, i'm talking about gay marriage. as i speak, same-sex couples are tieing the knot in the nation's capital. and we've been battered with bad news about the housing market all year. guess what, if you are thinking about buying a home, now might be the perfect time and there plenty of good spots to do it. also, if you're looking to get rid of your home, uncle sam is giving you and your lender some incentives, we'll break it owl down for all down for you. the toyota problems have calmed down after the fiery congressional hearings. they've revved up again. cnn's deb feyerick has the story for us. it was fascinating to find out about it. tell us what happened for the viewers that don't know. >> well, you know, it's fascinating, because this is the account of a man whose car
1:02 pm
accelerated out of control speeching speeds 90 miles an hour. toyota has a chance to get the car and analyze exactly what went wrong to see if, in fact, they can fix it. they've mobilized a team to go down and inspect that vehicle. this was a wild ride. the driver, jim sykes, said he was traveling east along interstate 8 just in the san diego area when he attempted to pass another car. his vehicle seemed to just speed out of control. the gas pedal stuck he said and did something funny. it didn't come up. it was just sitting there on the floor of the vehicle. he did speak about this yesterday at a news conference. >> my thought was going over the side of the hill. because there was too many hills, too many angles. i wanted to shut the car off and no safe place to do it. and nobody to protect me from behind. there were a few times i got really, really close to vehicles. especially a truck twice. once early in the game and then another one when he was on the
1:03 pm
side of me. came real close. >> sykes was trying to maneuver his vehicle to figure out how best he could stop it. he was able to call 911. he said a dispatcher there tried to go through a list of ways that he might be able to stop that vehicle. none of them worked, but because of the 911 call a highway patrol officer was able to pull alongside syke's car and he was able to use the p.a. system to try to instruct him what to do, and the way they stopped the car apparently the driver stepped on the brakes while tamt liat the time lifting up his emergency brake, it slowed it down to 50 miles an hour, enough for the driver to gain control. here's how it happened. >> i was just holding on to the steering wheel with my left hand, i was down at an angle trying to pull -- just tried to pull it back. i thought maybe it was stuck. i mean, my mat was perfect. there was nothing wrong with my mat. and the pedal, it wouldn't do
1:04 pm
anything. it stayed right where it was. he got up on the side. told me what to do. and i was standing on the pedal. standing on the brake pedal. looking out the window at him. and he said, push the emergency brake, too. i laid on both of them. and it finally started slowing down right then, it was down to, like, 55. it had been at 94, i know that. >> now, the driver had taken his car in to the toyota dealership. it's a 2008 camry, excuse me, and there was a problem with the camry, with the floor mat, but when he went to the dealership, the dealership said, no, you're car is not on the list. indeed it was on the list. he did check the floor mat. it did not seem to be a problem with the floor mat. toyota's been issuing recalls on the prius because of a brake problem. again, this is something different. if it is, as it appears to be,
1:05 pm
sudden unintended acceleration, toyota may have a total different problem. ali? >> you hit the issue on the head. the car was under recall because of acceleration because of the floor mat that could stick, but largely the issue we've been talking about with priuses is a brake that doesn't react as fast. so if this prius, not related to the floor mat, had an accelerator that was sticking, and let's just not mince words, was a runaway vehicle, this takes us into another level with toyota. this is a different issue. >> absolutely. when you look at it is, there are all different things and reasons why toyota has been issuing these recalls. >> right. >> one is the brake, one is the floor mat, unintended acceleration. it could be it's all combining to work together. again, if it were the brake and it wasn't coming back, that could be part of the issue. again, what this appears the car was simply accelerating and the driver said there was no control of the brake. no control whatwhatsoever. you have your gas pedal and your
1:06 pm
engine, what connects them is not some sort of a wire. not some sort of connector. >> software now. >> what connects them in the electronics, so if those weren't working it could cause the car to accelerate and toyota has mobilized a team. >> they are going to look in to this car specifically. they've sent technicians out? >> absolutely. and that's what's so interesting about it. a lot of people did complain about this, because toyota dealerships were not aware of the problem, they didn't know how to check to see what it might be. now at least they have a car that they know for sure apparently was part of this problem. so, at least they can kind of analyze it and see if, in fact, there's any information in those black boxes. >> deb, thank you very much. deb feyerick in new york. we're not done with this topic yet, however, what you want to know, by the way, how to fix it if it happens to you. can you imagine being in your car and the brakes aren't slowing the car down, and it's accelerating over 90 miles an hour. lauren fix is standing by and she can hopefully tell us what to do if this happens to you
1:07 pm
had. imagine being at thirty thousand feet with a plane full of kids.
1:08 pm
and you have a heart attack. that's what happened to me. i'm on an aspirin regimen now. my doctor told me it's the easiest preventative thing you can do. [ male announcer ] be sure to talk to your doctor before you begin an aspirin regimen. see your doctor. simple.
1:09 pm
i had a great time. me too. you know, i just got out of a bad relatio... it's okay. thanks. goodnight. goodnight. (door crashes in, alarm sounds) get out! (phone rings) hello? this is rick with broadview security. is everything all right? no, my ex-boyfriend just kicked in the front door. i'm sending help right now. thank you. (announcer) brink's home security is now broadview security. call now to install the standard system for just $99. the proven technology of broadview security system delivers rapid response from highly-trained professionals, 24 hours a day. call now to get the $99 installation, plus a second keypad installed free. and, you could save up to 20% on your homeowner's insurance. call now-- and get the system installed for just $99. broadview security for your home or business - the next generation of brink's home security. call now.
1:10 pm
okay. get this, you're driving out on the highway. you go to pass a guy, the next thing you know your car develops a mind of its own. it hits 90 miles an hour. then 94 miles an hour like this guy in california, and it stays there. you smash your brakes. you're practically standing on your brakes. the car is not slowing down. it feels like nothing is even reacting. well, that's what this california guy says happened to him yesterday. his car is a 2008 toyota prius. under warranty because of a floor mat issue. under recall, although he says when he took it in, they didn't tell him there was a recall for that car. i want to hear what auto analyst lauren fix has to say about this one. she joins us now from buffalo. lauren, great to see you. can you comprehend this? does it sound like it makes sense to you? >> this gentleman that was driving really seemed like he was paying attention. it's obvious he's seen cnn and knew what to do. whether he put the car in neutral, i don't know. he was trying to slow the car
1:11 pm
down, he was trying to be creative and lift the pedal up and it didn't react. he knew it wasn't the floor mat. he did state that. he was obviously listening to what we said, whether or not he put it in neutral, i don't know, he thought about shutting the car off and knowing that there were was no safe place to pull off, was smart. people aren't usually aware of their surroundings. he did all the right things other than using neutral. >> you try and get out and roll out but that's not practical when your car is at 90 miles an hour. >> i don't know if that's what i should do it. >> that's what you should do is put it in neutral? >> i wouldn't want to roll out of any car in traffic. >> so, tell me what the steps are. what would you do? >> okay. the first thing i would do if i were in that position, and i actually have spoken to many people since, i know that national highway traffic safety administration has talked to additional people that have had recall problems or problems with cars still accelerating or they
1:12 pm
are sk ral paccelerating. this has been going on since 1957 and the chrysler product, so there are cars all along that have had problems. put the car in neutral is the first thing you can do. if for some reason you can't get it into neutral or you have it into neutral and the car is still accelerating because of an electrical problem, the next thing to do is to stand on the brakes. just like this gentleman did. both feet. put everything you've got. he's a bigger guy, if you are smaller or lighter, you may not have the same brake pressure. the next thing you do is literally boil your brake fluid and the brakes will no longer function properly. using the car brake may slow the car down. not everyone has the lever-type brake. the final thing if you have a push-button start, push the button and hold it for five seconds, that's just enough to shut the car down, again, that's in your owner's manual. and finally, if you have a key switch, turn it to the accessory
1:13 pm
mode which will stop the car. and put on the four ways first and know the people you are having a problem, so if you do shut it off, you are not hit by the car behind you. >> let's do superhero action movie stuff here. what are you doing when your car is zipping down a highway, you need something external to your car to make it stop. what are your best options there? what would you do if you're on a highway and you needed to stop this car? >> well, actually, that was one of the things if your car won't stop, you've got no brakes and you don't know what to do, you tried neutral and the car is still accelerating and besides the fact that you are having a heart attack, which i probably would, too, calling 911 was actually pretty smart. what they did was used the push bars on the los angeles police department cars, the highway department cars, to slow it down. unfortunately the worst-case scenario is the car would continue to accelerate and even though it was at the bumper of the other car, it might actually spin out and then you've got some other problems if you have a spin-out, so we have to kind
1:14 pm
of consider that. they could use the tire strips, you've seen -- >> right, right, right. >> when they got run-aways. >> i wouldn't want to jump out of the car. i don't think i'd want to do that. >> i was being facetious, make sure nobody thinks about that, get that out of your mind in case you're in that situation. don't listen to me on this one. tell me this, deb feyerick was talking about the difference between the prius and other cars in terms of electronics. >> right. >> first of all, do cars divide into two parts, those that have a lot of electronic parts and those are different from the cars that the rest of us drive that are more mechanical? >> all have electrical throttle control, all the cars previous to 2000 had it. previous cars with cable throttles, it was easier to stick your foot underneath the pedal and flip it up. i have older cars also and that's something you can do. but if you have an electric throttle control, it's computer generated, it's also known as drive-by-wire. if there is electric
1:15 pm
interference, you can't help the electronic problem. that's where the problem comes in. keep in mind when mr. toyoda was speaking to all the congressional committees, he did say 70% of the cars that are out there that may need to be recalled for acceleration are not on the recall list. and this is obviously one of them, because steve wozniak had a problem and most likely toyota would be smart to purchase the car from a gentleman and get him to another toyota if they can for marketing purposes and take it back and figure out what happened. because god forbid this happens to somebody else. and the timing's horrible, by the way. mayday pr. >> put all your weight on the brake, is the brake not electronic, does putting extra weight on the brake pedal actually make a difference? >> that's brake pedal, that's hydraulic, that's part of my background is the braking system. they do not have drive-by wire
1:16 pm
in the u.s. and i'm against it. i'm sorry, brake-by. they have tested it in europe and they use on it some vehicles, i do not in any way, shape, or form like it in the u.s. for a multitude of reasons. i don't think it should be used at all. hydraulic brakes do work as long as they are maintained, the harder you stand on them, the more brake pedal pressure you will get. however, if you fried to go to the all electronics, you will have problems. you have crash control and stability control so the computer is attached to everything. the average car is 20 little computers and modules and they need to be maintained and even if this is an '08, if there's a problem, it's electronic or electronic interference where you can't control yourself. >> i'm glad you cleared it up. i didn't understand why you can't manually deal with the throttle but can the brakes by dealing with that problem. forget my advice of rolling out
1:17 pm
of the car. lauren fix is an automotive analyst based in buffalo, new york. >> thank you. >> if you want more on this, for an in-depth look into the toyota recall, go to you can find out if your car has been recalled and what to do about it. when we come back, i'll talk to christine romans. she'll join me for our "your $$$$$" segment. if you are a homeowner in over your head, the government is giving you an option and we'll talk about it. boss:hey, glad i caught you. i was on my way to present ideas
1:18 pm
about all the discounts we're offering. i've got some catchphrases that'll make these savings even more memorable. gecko: all right... gecko: good driver discounts. now that's the stuff...? boss: how 'bout this? gecko: ...they're the bee's knees? boss: or this? gecko: sir, how 'bout just "fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance." boss: ha, yeah, good luck with that catching on! anncr: geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
1:19 pm
1:20 pm
all right. i want to go to jim acosta, who in washington, d.c., around dupont circle, where advocates in favor of health care reform have gathered today to protest along with howard dean, former vermont governor. jim acosta is on the line with us now. jim, what's going on there now? >> hey, ali, we are standing right outside the ritz-carlton hotel, right outside of georgetown in washington, d.c., and the reason why we're out here, there is a very big protest in favor of health care reform that just wrapped up here. the reason why the protest was happening here, because the insurance industry was having one of its annual policy conferences right here in washington, where they had executives from all over the insurance industry gathered to talk about health care reform. it's in a very critical stage right now between the house and the congress, and there were several hundred protesters gathered here just a few moments
1:21 pm
ago. police made some what i will call ceremonial arrests where they took some folks into custody and then released them a few minutes later, but essentially folks were gathered right up here at the police barricade that i'm standing in front of, and they were forcing their way, at least attempting to force their way, inside the hotel room for about 10 to 15 minutes. that is why the police out here made some arrests. but all in all, this was a fairly, i think, peaceful and organized protest. there were -- there were several speakers who talked during this event. they actually called for a citizens' arrest at one point, ali, of the insurance industry executives who were represented here. they actually deputized or had a ceremonial deputizing of hundreds of protesters out here. and then at one point, they said, okay, let's go inside and get these guys, and we all thought they were going to physically come inside of the hotel. that is when they made their way towards the barricades and the police stopped them and made some of those, as what i would call them, ceremonial arrests. but, ali, it's wrapping up right
1:22 pm
now. all around, a peaceful protest that's definitely breaking up, ali. >> we've got you on tv, we're hearing you through the phone, but you are on camera right now. any counterprotests that you see, or is it the one group that is organized this protest? there aren't people sort of getting into it with each other there, are there? >> reporter: there was definitely some bumping that was going on between -- there was definitely bumping going on between the police and the protesters. police took the unruly protesters into custody briefly and then released them. this was a protest that was staged by health care reform advocacy groups like health scare for america now, several labor groups were out here, and this was a noisy, rowdy protest. no doubt about it. there was no counterprotest, but what i can tell you, i did see some folks who were here with the conference industry conference inside the hotel coming outside, sort of taking a look around, and then going back inside. and at one point the hotel staff and the d.c. police department, they were actually talking about
1:23 pm
locking the doors to this hotel, so folks could not come inside the hotel. so, they were concerned, at least for a brief period of time, that this was going to get out of control, that people would start to storm the hotel, but in the end that did not happen. a few detentions, you could call them, ceremonial arrests, i would call them, for a few moments and the folks were released. but essentially there was a big, noisy protest. we don't see these a lot in washington these days, but -- especially around the issue of health care reform. this was definitely one of the larger health care protests that i've seen in washington. >> when i was on the cnn express, the health scare for america now, the umbrella group for a lot of organizations that support health care reform, they would have some people go out to the tea parties, again, more a ceremonial presence because there would be a few of them as opposed to hundreds of thousands of tea partiers, but it's part of the process. >> reporter: i'm sorry, ali, if you have to wrap it up, i'll
1:24 pm
send it back to you. >> no, finish your thought, jim. >> reporter: the one thing i thought was really striking about this rally was the signs being held up by the protesters actually said, you know, wanted for arrest, and they were wanted posters, especially, for these insurance executives, and under the pictures of the different executives, it would say wanted for the deaths of 45,000 americans every year. as this issue is really coming to a head here in washington what we're finding is the pro-health care reform folks are really in very stark language putting it out there that they want to see health care reform passed, even almost to the point of going over the line and creating wanted posters for these executives. >> yeah. >> reporter: and, you know, and when you talk to the insurance industry about that, which i did, i asked them about that, and they said, well, this is just part of the debate and we're trying to work through it. and, you know, that's essentially what we got from the insurance industry's side. but this was a noisy protest. but it's largely wrapping up now, ali. >> all right, jim, thank you for
1:25 pm
bringing that to us. we appreciate it. jim acosta outside the ritz-carlton in washington, d.c. all right. let's talk about houses for a second. there's a list here, i want to show it to you. it is called the housing opportunity index. it's put out by "forbes." it takes into account in any particular city the foreclosure rate. obviously if there's a low rate of foreclosures, that's better for the housing market because there aren't more houses on the market to sell and it combines it with the expected increase or decrease in housing prices. i want to go through the top five on "forbes" housing opportunity list. number one on the list is -- it's not the highest scorer, but the housing opportunity number for pittsburgh is 85.1. the reason "forbes" likes pittsburgh is because it rates -- it doesn't have a whole lot of foreclosures and it does look like there are enough houses there but not too many, so that prices might go up. number two, louisville, kentucky, the score 84.3, just a
1:26 pm
little bit below pittsburgh. very low foreclosure rates, that's what gets louisville toward the top of that list. houston, texas, this is an area we've been talking about a lot. a lot of texas is actually doing very well. 73.2, the issue there is it has strong industry and energy-related jobs. people are moving to houston and austin and dallas and places like that. so, you're seeing the possibility of housing price indexes. let's take you to the minneapolis/st. paul area. very low unemployment in some of the states around here. that brings it to a score of 84.9, you can see just below pittsburgh. and finally i want to show you indianapolis, a score of 95.7 on the index. this is -- homes are quite affordable right now. there's housing that is accessible to a lot of families who have sort of a median income. a lot of people, you don't have to be very rich to get a nice house in indianapolis. what if you don't live in one of those top markets? well, you might have a problem, particularly if you owe a lot on
1:27 pm
your mortgage and you need to try to get rid of the mortgage. let's bring in christine romans, she's my co-host on "your $$$$$." you can watch us on weekends. what can you do if you're not in the fortunate position of buying a house in a great market? >> and indy and pittsburgh has a lot other things going on there. the government's efforts to prevent foreclosure has been helping you keep in your home. the extension of the original program will be launched april 5th to help you do a short sale, help you get out of the house you just can't get -- you can't afford this house, you know? you can't try to stay in it because you are never going to be able to afford it. it's called the home affordable alternative foreclosures program. you essentially get paid for the short sale. the borrower get eer gets $1,50 moving bonus. the buyer is willing to offer
1:28 pm
much less than you paid for the house and that you owe the banks. so, the lender's go to take a hit and agree for you to sell this house at a lower price. here's some of the rules, who is eligible. it needs to be principle residence, first-lien mortgage and you have to be seriously delinquent. here's the rub, ali, so many people have kept up on their loans they didn't even look at you until you were seriously delinquent. the unpaid balance has to be under the adjusted jumbo level, and your monthly mortgage has to be over 31% of your monthly income. it is a the hafa program. >> foreclosure is the worst thing that can happen to you. and this is all things that can happen to you if you can't pay for your house. foreclosure's the worst. perhaps the best is what you call a deed in lieu, you know, you give the bank your house, you don't owe them anything. it's all just done and you walk away, the short sale is kind of in the middle. people ask me all the time, if you do a short sale and the bank lets you walk away even though
1:29 pm
you haven't fulfilled your obligation to them, this does hit your credit score. >> it does. it really does. i was talking to, and they were saying any way you try to get out from under a bad mortgage is going to hurt you. a short sale is best for your neighborhood, ali, because you're working with the banks. you're not going to strip out. nobody is going to strip out all the appliances and hurt this house, you know, the bank will keep it up so they can sell it or you have a buyer in the short sale, which is good for the neighborhood. but it could hit your credit score 200 points. if are 750 or higher, they say that you can reasonably expect if you have a decent credit score but you have to walk away from the financial contract, 150 to 200 points off your credit score, but better than a foreclosure, because you could be ready to buy in another few years. >> thank you for the information. a lot of people have to consider this option, as bad as it is. christine romans my co-host on "your $$$$$." you can watch us on saturdays at
1:30 pm
1:00 p.m. and sundays at 2:00 p.m. i want to go to brooke anderson who has new information on the extortion of david letterman. >> john hauled dllderman is exp to plead guilty in 45 minutes or so in a manhattan court to attempted extortion. he has obviously struck some sort of plea deal, because it will carry reportedly six months behind bars and may be able to get out with good behavior a little bit earlier. also be responsible for probation in 4 1/2 years, and hallderman originally pleaded not guilty. he had been facing a whopper of a charge of attempted grand larceny, and that would have carried -- that would have meant he could have been locked up for 15 years if he had been convicted of that. just to refresh your memory if you have forgotten, hallderman
1:31 pm
is the guy who is accused of trying to extort david letterman for $2 million saying that he would disclose that letterman had affairs with female staffers. letterman then just nipped it in the bud, went on air in october and said, hey, here's what's happening. i have had affairs with of staers in the past. i'm not currently having sexual relations with any of these women and i will not be victimized. his ratings shot up. halderman pleaded guilty in october, but he has struck some sort of a plea and in less than an hour we're hearing that he will plead guilty. he is not currently working for cbs. >> all right. very interesting information, though, that, you're right, there seems to have been some sort of negotiation. it seems prosecutors were not prepared to let him off until either setting an example or do something in response to these allegations. interesting, thank you for joining us.
1:32 pm
brooke anderson on the news of joe halderman perhaps offering a guilty plea in the next hour or so. we'll keep you posted on that. when we come back, we'll talk with senior medical correspondent, elizabeth cohen. she's continuing her study about how different people, people with different ethnicities, are affected by common health concerns. if you want to see the weather ahead, push here. if you want to access 10 gigs of music you just downloaded to your hard drive, push here. and if you want to pull away from it all, you can push here. the all-new-40-gig hard drive nav and entertainment system on the 2010 lacrosse. from buick. it's the new class of world class. to cover up flaws and make skin look pretty but there's one that's so clever, it makes your skin look better even after you take it off. neutrogena healthy skin liquid makeup.
1:33 pm
98% of women saw improvement in their skin's natural texture, tone, or clarity. does your makeup do that? neutrogena® cosmetics recommended most by dermatologists.
1:34 pm
all right. you may know somebody who is affected by alzheimer's. one of the things our senior medical correspondent, elizabeth cohen, has been working on this week is links between these diseases and what your ethnicity is. elizabeth joins me now. is there a link between ethnicity and your chances of getting alzheimer's? >> yes, this study says there is a link. i think it's surprising to people who think it's relatively random, and what this shows is that there is something -- there is a link there. let's take a look first at the chances of getting alzheimer's if you are between 75 and 84 and you're white. the chances are 1 in 10 that you will have alzheimer's at that
1:35 pm
stage, 1 in 10. hispanics, the chances are 1 in 4 that someone will have alzheimer alzheimer's. a huge difference. for african-americans, the chances are 1 in 3. >> yesterday we talked about people's sleep patterns based on ethnicity, but we were able to do pop science and saying that some are affected disproportionately by the economy and you are looking at money stresses. how do you make the link here? what does it have to do with? >> it's a little bit similar in that minorities in this country have less access to medical care and therefore tend to have more diabetes and high blood pressure, those two diseases put you at higher risk for alzheimer's. a lot of people don't know, a lot of people know it puts at a higher risk for heart disease, but the heart is linked to the brain and whatever is bad for your brain is bad for your heart. >> let's talk a little bit about what you do to try to avoid alzheimer's. what should we do?
1:36 pm
>> there's a couple things everybody should do. it will not guarantee but it will hopefully decrease the chances. eat more fruits and vegetables. >> i feel that you say that about everything. >> we do say it about everything. if it's good for your heart, it's good for your head. there you go. exercise. >> that's another one i hear a lot on lists. >> and also be social. that's not always on our list. >> it's different. >> it sort of activates parts of your brain. you are using your brain to communicate with people. it's the same reason you are supposed to learn a language. >> and read a lot. and play the puzzles and games to keep you going. >> exactly. >> keep your mind and your body active. >> use it or lose it. >> if i hit the first two, eat fruits and vegetables, we'll have nothing to talk about. those are the two to check off. it's motivating. be social and keep busy and active and learn things. >> keep invested in sort of your community. don't pull away. >> got it. thank you, our senior medical correspondent, elizabeth cohen.
1:37 pm
listen, right now, as we speak, for the first time in history, gay couples are getting married in the nation's capital. that might be important to you. it might be symbolic. you might think it's the way it goes everyplace. we'll talk about gay marriage in this country, where it's going and changing. [ crowd cheering ] [ male announcer ] competition... it pushes us to work harder. to be better.
1:38 pm
to win. but sometimes even rivals realize they share a common goal. america's beverage companies have removed full-calorie soft drinks from schools, reducing beverage calories by 88%. together with schools, we're helping kids make more balanced choices every day. ♪
1:39 pm
1:40 pm
okay. just before everybody starts tweeting me and facebooking me, you think it's a very important debate to have about same-sex marriage, but that's not what we're having right now. there's a great time for it. we do it on this show, we do it on this network all the time. that's not what we're talking about right now. whatever you think about it, march 9, 2010, is a milestone, same-sex marriages lk legally performed in washington, d.c. the d.c. council passed a law last december, but it only took effect last woith. the first gay couples to apply for licenses were first allowed to wed this morning. there's a three-business-day waiting period which is why it's just happened now. the district joins five states where same-sex marriage is legal. let me show them to you. vermont, new hampshire, massachusetts, connecticut, and iowa.
1:41 pm
now, new jersey allows civil unions. that confers all the -- i think it confers all the legal rights of marriage, but we're going to talk to somebody who knows more about this than i do. and four western states, california, oregon, washington, and nevada grants same rights to couples. and maine, the state legalized gay marriage in may of '09 but it was banned. voters overturned it in november of '09. in california, the state supreme court approved gay marriage in may of 2008, but six months later voters passed proposition 8, and barred it. the federal trial on that matter is under way in california right now. so, all this brings me to our guests right now, the human rights campaign is devoted to gay and lesbian issues and devoted to it in washington.
1:42 pm
fred hurst specializes in issues with unmarried partners, he's from san francisco and writes books on it. both of these guys think gay marriage is okay. we're not having the debate. it's not like i forgot to book the guy who doesn't like gay marriage. i booked the guys for a specific reason. fred, good to see you after a long time. i want to ask you, fred, what is the difference? for people who have been in these states waiting to get married, what changes for them? >> well, here's what's so interesting, ali, i'm glad you asked the question that way. the legal rights and responsibilities actually don't change. and what's so different about the debate now is that we're not debating about whether same-sex couples should have the rights. the question is, should they be allowed into the room of marriage through the front door or the back door. and what's changed now in the six states you mentioned including now the district of columbia, is that same-sex couples are allowed to enter into the room of marriage through the front door, with the dignity and the respect that they're entitled to. their actual legal rights don't
1:43 pm
change. >> okay. >> it's the social dignity that changes. >> sultan, let's talk about it for a second. because what i was just describing to our audience showing the maps and things like that. it's really a patchwork of civil unions and marriage and not marriage, i mean, so what do you think about the way this has sort of developed and evolved through the country? >> well, i mean, i think it is important to look at the fact that same-sex couples here in the district are now treated with dignity and respect, but it's also not just the same-sex couples it's the families. one of the great things that happened when the couple you showed in the opening footage were married was that her mother stood up and saying "you are so beautiful to me." i think that's really what marriage is all about, it's not just the couple celebrating their loving statement, but that really being shared with the family and friends that are there, and now that the district of columbia, the nation's capital, allows that to happen, it's really a beautiful day not just for the couples but for their families. >> is there something
1:44 pm
significant, fred, with respect to benefits and wills and passing things on after you die. is there something that the piece of paper changes for gay couples or unwed couples? >> here's what i found and what is so interesting. one of the purposes of law is to give people clarity about their lives and as the last speaker just said, the patchwork of marriage equivalence and marriage life and domestic partnership leaves couples and their families and frankly their bankers and the title companies and real estate agents with a great deal of uncertainty of is this couple really married or not. what happens, it's been shown? amsterdam and it's been shown in vermont, is when couples can say they are married, well, then, their employers understand that and the rules kick in. to say you're a domestic partner with some of the rights but not all of them leaves you vulnerable to uncertainty and challenge. so, i would say that it does dramatically cement the rights, which are gray and ambiguous
1:45 pm
often under civil unions such as new jersey or domestic partner such as california. >> sultan, tell me what the momentum is, every time there's a ruling of some sort or the cost overturned something or we have a vote like in maine, one side or the other claims victory and says things are about to change. where is the momentum? is it voters overturning gay rights that courts approve? is it legislators saying it's okay? what's going on? >> that's a great question. i think we see day after day after day, more people aroundco couples should be treated with the same rights as other couples. the craziness and the patchwork that we have going on with domestic and civil unions and partnerships, the interesting thing about that when the same-sex couples travel outside of their home state, if they're married, that marriage is recognized in other places that rec nigz same-sex marriages, if you travel to state like
1:46 pm
massachusetts or you travel to another state that recognizes same-sex marriage they will not know what your domestic partnership or civil union is. when a couple in the united states gets down on one knee and says i want you to, or will you, what comes after that is will you marry me. that's what recognized around the country in the u.s. and that's why same-sex couples having access is so important. >> for those people who couldn't be less interested in same-sex marriage but are in domestic partnerships and want to know their rights, is there anything that opposite-sex couples should be taking from the trends? is there some way in which they gain or lose from this? >> here's what's important, and this is actually what is tricky, some state's same-sex can register, in other states, opposite couples over the age of 62 for social security reasons can register. what i say for opposite sex
1:47 pm
countries, the federal government and other states will recognize. if you want to marry and nolo has a book for you, it's called "living together." depending on your situation, whether it's parentage or inheritance or social security, domestic partner or civil unions might be good enough, but you really need marriage if you want all the benefits. >> great conversation, guys. and, again, before you all go nuts, on facebook and twitter, two guys who are both supporting gay marriage. okay? this wasn't the debate on whether or not we should have gay marriage. if you write to me a lot and you feel we have to do it, we'll do it. thanks, guys. >> thanks very much for your interest. when we come back, you may remember this woman. we talked a lot about nelson mandela, the former president of south africa, this is his former wife, winnie mandela, we'll hear
1:48 pm
from winnie mandela on how she thinks president obama is handling his job and her take on the civil rights movement in south africa. who will we hear it from? we'll hear it from cnn's analyst roland martin. ♪ [ woman ] nine iron, it's almost tee-time. time to face the pollen that used to make me sneeze, my eyes water. but with new zyrtec® liquid gels, i get allergy relief at liquid speed. that's the fast, powerful relief of zyrtec®, now in a liquid gel.
1:49 pm
zyrtec® is the fastest 24-hour allergy medicine. it works on my worst symptoms so i'm ready by the time we get to the first hole. and that's good because the competition's steep today. new zyrtec® liquid gels work fast, so i can love the air.™ you can label as "different." like janice. uh-huh. yeah. fashion deficient. and tom... copy incapable. it's open kimono time. looking good, dan. oh, we want to make sure all our ducks in a row. yeah. volume control syndrome. but we focus on the talent and skill that each person... brings to the team. i mean, no one's really concerned about labels. not even mine. labels get in the way. disabilities rarely do. visit to evolve your work force. all right. this day in history, back in 1997, rap star notorious big was killed in a drive-by-shooting.
1:50 pm
notorious b.i.g. was killed in a drive-by shooting in los angeles. i called him biggie, but it's and i said notorious big, but it is notorious b.i.g. and spawned a lot of coverage and re-make of a famous song. roland martin is standing by and he is a syndicated columnist and our analyst, and he has come back from an interview with winnie mandela and quickly from the airport to our studios in chicago to tell us about this. roland -- >> now you novi to call you big papa after playing that song. >> well, i know you will call me big papa, and i appreciate that you looked at what i was wearing before you got dressed and decided to dress the same as you and tony. >> i was shocked when i got to the studio and saw what you had on. >> yeah. and let's talk at winnie mandela. she was his wife before he went to prison and he is went to
1:51 pm
prison for almost 30 years and his wife through all of that and then through the anti-apartheid movement, and they got divorced and went their separate ways, but she stayed involved in south african politics. tell us why this is important. >> well, she was here for the 45th commemoration of the bloody march that took place in selma. she was the keynote speaker and gave a talk at a church in birmingham, because here is somebody who was really a leading figure in keeping the attention on nelson mandela being in prison on the anti-apartheid efforts during those 27 years, so one of the things that we also talked about is the fact that women, just like in the civil rights movement here in the u.s., the role that women played in combatting apartheid has been overlooked. most of the attention is on mandela and some of other men, and women have been pushed aside and so one of the things that she talked about is that women and children played a critical
1:52 pm
role, because most of the men were in jail. >> one of the sad realities of south afsh ka right now, roland, is that a lot of the children left school to fight apartheid and ultimately when apartheid ended, they couldn't get jobs and that contributed to the high crime rate in that country. >> she addressed that and said that those children sacrificed and made a decision to put their lives on the line. as she talked about that, it reminded me of being in birmingham, and folks don't realize that many of the adults were scared during that period to even go to a rally with the late dr. martin luther king, and the late reverend bevel and it was the children who marched and the adults said, if the kids are on the frontlines we must as well. as we know when the fire hoses and dogs were turned on the children, that is what caused america to say enough is enough.
1:53 pm
>> and those pictures are similar to the movement in the united states as when you talk about fire hoses and dogs, you have to pause for second and wonder what country you are looking at. i want to show a clip, but before, i want you to set this up for me. you asked her about president obama. >> well, as we were talking, she was talking about change in south africa and the expectations that people have had and how difficult it has been and how long they have been trying theic mate happen, and as she said it, i thought immediately about this country and so many people saying, hey, why not more change one year after his election. >> reporter: your assessment of president obama and the historic win as the 47th president of the united states, and the first african-american, and speak to the expectations for people of someone in his position, not being there. >> i think it is the most cruel thing to expect him to have done more than he already has within just one year.
1:54 pm
generations and generations of oppression, even though this is one of the longest democracies. i think his task is even more difficult, because i think that the african-americans for instance would have expected more, and in countries like the african continent, would they expect more from him, because he is african-american, and realistically, it is unfair. >> all right. roland, you have more of that and where can people see more of that interview? >> well, obviously, on, and i will be chatting with rick sanchez later as well and we will be airing the entire tv show on my show on tv one. >> i wonder if rick will have the same suit as us? >> no, no, trust me, it won't be the same suit, and it will be a
1:55 pm
boring tie. >> stay right where you are, buzz i am coming right back to you in a moment. if you are struggling to stay afloat, you see -- there he is. i actually thought that mr. perry there might be three for three on the pinstripes, but steve perry is a sharp dresser anyway. and stay tuned, because these two guys will talk about how the recession is affecting your children's education at colleges. so many schools are cutting budgets, and we will talk about it when we come back.
1:56 pm
1:57 pm
all right. if you are watching the show everyday, you know we are talking a lot about public education, which is a big topic. the kansas city school board is
1:58 pm
scheduled to vote on a measure to close half of the schools and eliminate 3,000 jobs and 285 of those are teaching jobs. the state is facing a shortfall, so we wanted to breakdown how many public schools are being forced to close ostensibly because of the recession. so 80% of the school funding is generated by property taxes. so you see the problem here. this recession has brought house prices down and put a lot of people out of their house, and as a result, schools are getting less money. according to a survey by the american association of school administrators 6% of school districts closed or consolidated schools in the 2008/2009 school year, and we are in the 2009/2010 school year, so this is the last school year, and by the way, twice saz maas many clr consolidated in the previous recession year. and 11% of the school districts, look at, this are considering closing schools or consolidating
1:59 pm
in the 2010 -- which is the current school year. you can see that 6% was the previous year and now almost double that this year. the bottom line is that school districts are making cutbacks because of the recession, but only a small percentage of the districts are actually considering closing schools, but we have heard about schools going to a four-day teaching week, cutting all sorts of things and maybe who is a parent knows that they have to pay for more of their students' supplies even at public schools. so what are the overall effects of the recession on the public schools. let's bring in cn's education contributor steve perry from hartford, connecticut, and cnn analyst roland martin. steve, i wanted to give you the first question, but you didn't bring it in terms of the stripes today. i will bring you in on this, and steve, you are an expert on this. so how do you square this? you look at the recession and a lot of beam are speople are won we are taking it out on the kids. it seems like short-term fixes
2:00 pm
for the long-term problems. >> well, the policies are finally catching up to the populations. some of the people rv moing out of the urban centers in some of of the country's worst schools and making decisions to choose charter and private and magnate schools as an educational option and finally choice is an option for students forced to go to failing schools. and as you mentioned property taxes are going down creating a gap. that is causing the revenue to be -- >> oh, we lost steve perry and roland at me at the same time. so you can listen to me for 3:00 and listen to my thought of education. we will take a break, because we will get them back and this is a good conversation. don't go anywhere. we will be back. [ shapiro ] at legalzoom, you can take care of virtually
2:01 pm
all your important legal matters in just minutes. now it's quicker and easier for you to start your business, protect your family, and launch your dreams. at, we put the law on your side. and launch your dreams. how do we know how how many town roads we need? the census helps us know exactly what we need, so everyone can get their fair share of funding. we can't move forward until you mail it back. 2010 census.
2:02 pm
hey, ask our doctor about garlique, okay? garlique's clinically tested ingredient maintains healthy cholesterol naturally.
2:03 pm
eat right. exercise. garlique. all right. sorry about that little problem, but it seems that somebody forgot to pay the bill, but regetting roland and steve back up. this is on the rundown, and new hour and new rundown. what about your nest egg? only a tiny fraction have what you need to retire, but i'm on the case. plus, so many of you don't know how much you need to retire. don't guess and don't roll the dice. i will break down the numbers a bd build up your future. and on the streets, there are protesters right now on the streets of d.c. aiming their anger at insurance companies, who by the way are meeting at the ritz-carlton in d.c. i will show you what is going on there. and what on earth caused two whole cities to move, shift, physically move? one of them as much as ten feet.
2:04 pm
we will find out what is at fault. and first, is jim sike's prius, a car from hell as they look at the accident yesterday. this is what had yesterday. he tried to pass a car yesterday and the car accelerated and the pedal he says stuck. the car stuck forward to 94 miles an hour, and it took a california highway patrol car to help him slow it down. he pulls up alongside him and gets on the p.a. system and helps him. you can see in the picture, he pulls up to make sure that the car is stopped. listen to. this >> i was just holding on to the steering wheel with my left hand and down at an angle to try to pull it back. i thought maybe it was stuck. i mean, my mat was perfect, and nothing wrong with my mat.
2:05 pm
and the pedal, it would don't anything. it stayed right where it was. he got up on the side and told me what to do and i was standing on the brake pedal and looking out the window at him. and he said, push the emergency brake, too. i laid on both of them. it final lly went down to 55 an it had been at 94. >> and toyota has dispatched a tech specialist to look at his '08 prius which was involved in a recall for a floor mat and not for accelerating pedals on its own, and we have just heard that the highway national safety administration is sending an investigation to california as well. this is a string of complaints against toyota which if proven could mean a whole other problem for the company. because if you remember, gas
2:06 pm
pedals were previously a problem on the prius getting stuck on mat, but not in the accelerator. so we have lauren from buffalo, and we have been talked several times, and i did not realize until our earlier conversation that you are an expert on brakes. one of things that we are learning here is is that one ofe acceleration concern is that when you press on the gas pedal, something electronic makes it happen which is not a direct relationship as the brakes. particularly on the toyota prius, and i don't know in h is widespread, but they are hydraul hydraulic, and you apply pressure directly and it clamps around the wheels. >> yes, how the brake system works is that when you step on the pedal, there is fluid in the master cylinder, and this is a basic system i am describing, and the fluid comes from the reservoir down to the brakes and two brake pads push against the
2:07 pm
rotor which is the part of the wheel that you look in and see, and that clamps down and slows the car down which is frictional heat, and slows it down. on the prius, it takes the heat and regenerates the battery. there are different systems to do it, but that is the basics of how it does on the prius and on most cars hydraulic brakes. this is not any other kind of brake, because they have been hydraulic since the '30s. contact is not something to be applied to the braking on the cars which have been tested in europe, and we don't need those because of the problems. so many computers could cause interference and glitches, and i personally don't want it on my car. >> so your point is that jim sikes did what is correct. his car would not stop and he reached down to try to get the
2:08 pm
pedal down, and that has to be dodgey because you are not looking at the road, but he said he was standing on the brake pedal and applying all of his weight to try to stop the car. do you think he was doing the right thing? >> yes, he was doing the right thing. he was paying attention and he looked in the mirrors and realized there were cars behind him, and if he had shut the car off immediately, someone would have hit him from behind, so he was thinking clearly to pull up on the pedal and knew what was going on around him and had the good sense to call 911 to get direction and followed what the operator told him. that was wise on his part. one of the thingts i would have always told someone to do is to put on the four-ways immediately. it is hard to be clear in a panic situation, and let the world around you know, there is a problem. then you can start playing around with possibly shutting the car off and looking for an escape route, but he said there were mountains and cliffs and the last thing he wanted to do was to find his vehicle upside down in one of them. i don't blame him. it was lucky that the police
2:09 pm
could help him. >> keep the escape route, and apply the flashers and app ply the emergency brake if you k and call 911 and use neutral. >> use neutral. >> put your car in neutral is the first piece of advice. should you if you are not -- >> certainly. put it in neutral and then try to disconnect. >> even if you have a regular key that i have? >> right. don't turn it off so that you pull the key out there. is an accessory mode between halfway completely off and starting the engine is where you want it to be so you have the ability to steer the wheel and the steering wheel won't lock on you, because if you do, it will be a problem. i am sure you have had that happen to you, where you have to jostle the wheel to break it loose. but one thing that the national highway safety department is trying to do and i think is good, because i am big on safety is to put in a system, a brake override system they are
2:10 pm
officially calling it, and they want to mandate that. it has not been confirmed, but senator rockefeller and a couple of others want to get involved in this. it is an election year, so i expect you will see everybody jumping on the band wagon and protecting the consumers should be the number one cause and not just in an election year. >> i am fascinated to know how much you know about brakes. >> that is what i do. >> thank you, lauren. we will have her on and it won't be bad news. lauren fix in buffalo. for more on recalls go to, and find out what to do about it. we will take a break and we have steve perry and roland back. we will talk about education. stay with us. ♪
2:11 pm
[ woman ] nine iron, it's almost tee-time. time to face the pollen that used to make me sneeze, my eyes water. but with new zyrtec® liquid gels, i get allergy relief at liquid speed. that's the fast, powerful relief of zyrtec®, now in a liquid gel. zyrtec® is the fastest 24-hour allergy medicine. it works on my worst symptoms so i'm ready by the time we get to the first hole. and that's good because the competition's steep today. new zyrtec® liquid gels work fast, so i can love the air.™ it was a horrible feeling, like i couldn't catch my breath.
2:12 pm
i couldn't believe i was actually having a heart attack. i remember being at the hospital, thinking about my wife. i should have done more to take care of myself. now i'm exercising, watching my diet, and i trust my heart to lipitor. [ male announcer ] along with diet, lipitor is fda approved to reduce the risk of heart attack, stroke, and certain kinds of heart surgeries in patients with several common risk factors or heart disease. lipitor is backed by over 17 years of research. lipitor is not for everyone, including people with liver problems p9 and women who are nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant. you need simple blood tests to check for liver problems. tell your doctor if you are taking other medications or if you have any muscle pain or weakness. is may be a sign of a rare but serious side effect.
2:13 pm
i'll never forget what i went through. don't take your health for granted. [ male announcer ] have a heart to heart with your doctor about your risk and about lipitor. okay. sorry about the glitch there. i got our cnn education contributor steve perry and cnn analyst roland martin back to talk about schools and how the recession is afting your kid's school, and the quality of education and the length of the school week. thank you for being with us. roland, steve was talking before we lost your satellite feed, he was talking about the shift from urban centers to magnet centers to charter schools to suburban areas which is interesting and beneficial to a lot of students and families, but particularly devastating to those left behind in those schools where they don't have charter schools and magnet schools. >> first of all, keep in mind they went to magnet schools in
2:14 pm
elementary schools and junior high and high school and part of the houston school system. also, in many states chart ir schools are part of the local school system as well. one of the fundamental problems when you look at in terms of where are the numbers and kansas city where they went from some 70,000 plus students down to 18,000, the reality is if you are trying to service 18,000 students with the same facilities, it is simply not going to work. also, the political issue here is the funding and how it is done. that is, you say that the schools get money from the property taxes, but it is also based upon those particular counties, and so, richer school districts where you have a far more dollars going, where you have people living in apartments in the inner city, and not homeowners, that will affect the dollars there. and the state senator in illinois, and i know him well, he has been trying to change the funding model saying you have an
2:15 pm
inequity when it is based on property taxes and the money is going to the suburban areas, and not the inner cities. >> it sounds probable, but steve is shaking his head. >> well, i don't believe in the conspiracy theories, but it is not entirely true that there is a disparity between the urban funding and the suburban funding. most of the funding comes from the outside forces like federal government and state property taxes, and if you look at a state like connecticut where you have 14,000 per pupil, you can go down to greenwich which goes down. the people with the most amount of money is not the urban centers, but the rural centers. >> but it varies by state. >> we have to make sure what we are talking at. >> well, you are using connecticut. they tried to use the education funding in texas with the robinhood plan, and taking the money from the rich districts to
2:16 pm
poor district, and that is problem, ali, no federal system when it comes to education, and you have state systems and the county systems and then inner cities, so it is a different situation in connecticut from texas from illinois. so that is not all one. >> so, let's start with steve. let's look at a solution then. how do we deal with the fact that there are some schools working very well across the country, no question, performance rates have gone up, and some of them because the d kids are going the charter schools and some to magnet schools and some straight-up normally funded schools are having improvements in the way they teach, but what is the solution to what we are talking about -- teachers getting cut, and schools consolidated and the teaching hours cut. >> well, one of the solutions is that because as you mentioned, there is no dearth of students for best school, because they will have a waiting list regardless of the type of school. so what we have to do is to allow those schools who are successful to proliferate, and replicate within their communities and instead of taking the same failed large
2:17 pm
schools and pouring more money into them to fail more children, we need to allow public and private options. milwaukee offers vouchers and not full-out vouchers, because it is private option, and the -- but if you have a straight voucher system, some families can home school and not lose the family's income, because they made that decision. >> we will have a different discussion on vouchers, because we will have you back a lot, but roland, what are you seeing? >> well, what is happening in kansas city is a good example. how can we continue to fund a system based on a 1970s model? etch ri si-- every one of the s districts have to make a hard core decisions, and the parents say, i went here and don't shut down this school, but if it is not helping the child today, you cannot make decisions based on 20 to 30 years ago. so applying strong business practices to organizing the schools. if the money is not there, you
2:18 pm
cannot keep paying for it with shortfalls. >> yes. >> and i can't believe it, you agree on it. charter schools and magnet schools are something that you all know about with vouchers, so we should bring you back to talk about those things and the benefits and opposition to them and the solutions. thanks for being with us, and sticking through technical problem. steve perry is our cnn education contributor from hartford, and roland martin is our cnn analyst. >> i have four teacher ins the family. >> that is right. and speaking 06 schools, a preschooler is booted from a catholic school not because of too many time-outs or bad grades but because the kid has two moms. we will tell you ant that when we come back. and turn that savings swagger up full tilt. ♪ so when the time comes to bust open a can of doing... we've got all the tools for all the things we need to make 'em happen.
2:19 pm
more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot. right now, get scotts nature scapes mulch for the new lower price of just $3.88. it was really nice to meet you, a.j. yeah, you too. a.j.? (alarm blasting) (screaming) (phone rings) hello? this is bill with broadview security. is everything okay? no. there's this guy - he just smashed in my door. i'm sending help right now. thank you. (announcer) brink's home security is now broadview security. call now to install the standard system for just $99. the proven technology of a broadview security system delivers rapid response from highly-trained professionals, 24 hours a day. call now to get the $99 installation, plus a second keypad installed free. and, you could save up to 20% on your homeowner's insurance.
2:20 pm
call now-- and get the system installed for just $99. broadview security for your home or business-- the next generation of brink's home security. call now.
2:21 pm
let me give you an update on the top stories we are working on right now. hundreds of protesters are rallying against health insurers outside of the ritz-carlton in d.c. where a group of insurers are meeting. howard dean and other protesters are speak out against rising premiums and denial of care. a child was not allowed to reenroll in catholic school in colorado because the parents are lesbians. gay rights are condemning the decision by the archdiocese in denver. the archdiocese says that it is standing by the decision, because they are living outside of catholic teachings. and early this morning, a worker went into a ohio state university and killed a manager before killing himself. they say he was upset over a poor performance report.
2:22 pm
no students were hurt, but one employee was wounded. and we go to the one simple thing where something simple can solve a big problem like malaria which kills people across the developing world. one man has a simple solutionsh and li will let him reveal it i his own words. >> whenever trucks like this arrive in rural africa, there is a big to-do about this, and the amazing part is when they saw they were mosquito nets. the biggest tool for affecting families in africa is a $10 mosquito net. my name is scott case, and i'm the chief executive officer of "malaria no more." we are dedicated to ending malaria by 2015. this year we distributed 80,000 nets to families from our
2:23 pm
twitter campaign which began last april and had a big piece to do with cnn and ashton kutcher. ashton took it to a new level and he saw that he was close to being one of the first people to reach 1 million followers on twitter, and he saw that cnn was close to becoming a million followers so he threw down the gauntlet to have a race to 1 million followers. ashton kutcher was the winner, but he most importantly threw down the idea that if he won, he would send out 1 million nets to families in sensenegal. so win or lose, it was important. so others decided to contribute their own gifts. oprah winfrey made a gift, and ryan seacrest, and others raised awareness and money. we were able to raise hundreds
2:24 pm
of thousands of dollars. with efound we found a district in the southern part of senegal to be that district to be one of the first districts in africa to reach what is called universal coverage so every family had enough mosquito nets in their family for everyone to sleep under. the impact was incredible, and we expected to see 50% reduction in mortality and morbidity, and we have seen the rates drop the zero. one thing that is the great example of one individual to have an impact and it is as simple as following malaria no more on twitter and donating $10 to help a family protect themselves from malaria. all of those things are so easy and so simple that anyone can do it. chile may want to change course. isty is not where it used to be.
2:25 pm
we will tell you about that. for strong bones, i take calcium. but my doctor told me that most calcium supplements... aren't absorbed properly unless taken with food. he recommended citracal. it's different -- it's calcium citrate, so it can be absorbed with or without food. citracal.
2:26 pm
2:27 pm
this is one of those quirky news items going around today and we don't want to make light of the serious earthquake in chile, but i'm here with jacqui jeras and they say that the cities involved in the
2:28 pm
earthquake moved. actually shifted. >> yes, by as much as ten feet. ten feet. i mean, right. how far away is that? it is huge actually. you know, conception yon which had the worst of the damage overall is the city that moved the farthest, and santiago over here, and even buenos aires moved a half an inch or so, and the reason is because of the type of earthquake that happened. this is the plate here, and this is the south american plate here, and this is the subduction zone. >> that is where they -- >> this is is where the two of them come together. this is sinking right down into the magna, right into the center of the earth, and the crust is leaning up against it, and eventually, it will snap and move. so the whole thing really pushed west. this moves in three inches per year, and we finally had that
2:29 pm
big give which was the 8.8. >> so, you won't feel like concepcion is 11 feet from the next city, the whole plate moved over? >> right. the whole plate. more here so than other areas as well. they were able to detect this by gps by the way. there were 25 gps over there, so they could tell by satellite that the position had moved. >> have you heard of in? it happens? it would take a big earthquake for this? >> well, the technology has improved so much that we know it has happened, and we reported last week that the earth's rotation sped up a little bit from that. >> the day got shorter? >> yes, the day was shorter by a second-plus, because the plates contracted the earth a little bit, so it is late smaller. >> now, i know this is not what we are here for, but my eye is caught up in this severe storms? what do we need to know about this? is this real? >> yes, we want to talk about the severe weather season. yesterday we had the first tornado in the month of march. >> remarkable that somebody
2:30 pm
videoed that. >> yes, the debris flying up there, and four homes were damaged, and this is hammond, oklahoma, and this was trained spotters by the way. >> that is incredible. >> but in my opinion, it is too close. because if you can see debris like this, and hopefully they were zoomed in, and if you can see the tornado moving eastward, and you can see the transformer flashessh and look, it is wider, doesn't it? so we think that the tornado was strengthening a little bit as it heads to the roadway. >> yesterday you were telling me how there is one tornado in february. >> yes. >> and we were supposed to have 22 or something like that, and very, very low. >> yes, quiet. in march we will double that number, and you see it increasing, because of the storms coming in the plains a and the cool backside coming from the humid air from gulf of mexico, and this is the scenario for tomorrow afternoon and we have a risk of seeing the rough weather from the lower to upper
2:31 pm
mississippi valley. >> yes. i want to update you on the story of to producer who was trying to extort money from david let terman. julian cummings is coming out of the courthouse. what have you got? >> reporter: hi, ali. he has plead guilty to second degree larceny and the sentence is six years and five months probation. in court, mr. halderman spoke to the judge and read a statement, and admitted in september of 2009, he tried to extort $2 million from mr. letterman, by discloeging personal information true and false, and went on to apologize and offered some remorse and in court he said i have great remorse to what i have done to mr. letterman and his family, and stephanie bu
2:32 pm
burkett, who was also named in the alleged extortion. >> so he is going to jail? >> yes, he is free to go today, and expected to be outside of new york city supreme court shortly, and we are hearing he may make some statements. >> and the charge was initially grand larceny so some plea arrangement he came to, because as you said, he read that statement that he did extort money from or try to extort money from david letterman. this is a live picture, and julian, down know who that is, but we will listen in. tell our producers who that is. >> reporter: all right. >> this is the accused's attorney.
2:33 pm
>> okay. so this afternoon, mr. halderman plead gill toy to grand larceny by extortion, and in an effort to resolve this matter, it is now behind him. >> have you spoken to mr. letterman? >> no, we haven't spoken to mr. letterman and we have never spoken to him. >> what about the -- >> well, julia, we had a novel defense here involving complicated legal issues. i was excited about the defense, but it is going to be a long road ahead of us. considering the risks and the rewards and the need for joe to put this behind him and get on with his life, these things were paramount. >> in the beginning, you said that we would find out that it was not all that it seemed. is that the case in your eyes? >> well, here is the point. there was never a dispute about
2:34 pm
the facts of the case, whether a demand was delivered. that was not the issue. the issue was involved the question of mr. halderman's legal rights. as i said a moment ago, it was a novel defense, and weighed the defense and weighed the prospects of going to trial and felt it was the bs way to resolve it. now, mr. halderman is going to make a statement and he won't take any statements, and then we will move along and give us an opportunity to walk away. all right. okay. here we go. >> i just wanted to say that again, i apologize to mr. letterman, to his family, and stephanie burkett and certainly to my friends and family. i will not be doing any interviews. i thank you all for your patience. >> can you help us to understand why you did it? can you answer that question? >> we are not answering any further questions, and the plea speaks for itself and t he allocution is specific and clear, and we are relying on
2:35 pm
that. thank you very much. >> he said that the allocution is specific and clear. this was robert "joe" halderman, a former cbs news producer pleading guilty to second-degree grand larceny and given a sentence of six months in jail, and five years of probation, and 1,000 hours of community service and 500 of those to be served in new york and 500 in connecticut. in the allocution, he says that i apologize to mr. letterman and his family, and certainly my friends and family. he also just kim came to the microphone after his lawyer spoke and said he apologized to mr. letterman and his family and his family, and stepped away. when asked why he did it, the lawyer says it speaks for himself. he is leaving now, and that is him who got into the car now. the car doors are closing. he has made the statement, and leaving court. our producer julian cummings was there through the proceedings. i don't know if he is still there -- >> i am here.
2:36 pm
>> he said that the allocution spoke for itself, and tell us what he said in court. >> reporter: well, he spoke directly, you know, admitting that he committed the extortion for $1 million. mentioned in detail about meeting with letterman's driver, and the screenplay, and said that needed to be checked, and as we know it was the phony check that led to the initial charges against him. he basically said i understand the charges that i would extort $2 million from mr. letterman, an it was a crime. thank you very much, julian cummings, who is our reporter who was there in the courtroom. we will report any more information coming from this, but it looks like we have the information. robert "joe" halderman pleading guilty to second-degree larceny. he will be sentenced at a later date. some of you are not saving
2:37 pm
nearly enough for retirement and some of you don't know how much is enough, and what that should be. you want to come back after the break, and bring your pencil and paper, because i will give you something to think about.
2:38 pm
2:39 pm
these attorneys representing david letterman. let's listen in. >> a just and appropriate result was inevitable. on behalf of my family, i am extremely grateful for their tireless efforts. thank you very much. >> not taking questions? >> let me read to you what those
2:40 pm
two attorneys just read. that is dan horowitz and john abernathy, attorneys for david letterman reading a statement by david letterman. it says i would like to thank the district attorney of manhattan and cyrus m. and the new york police department. when they became involved in the case, i had complete faith that a just and appropriate result was inevitable. on behalf of my family, i am extremely grateful for the tireless efforts. you recall when david let terman's driver received the transcript of the book to be published, the transcript that was going the go out itemizing david letterman's affairs, he then agreed to meet up with halderman and give him a check. the check was phony. it was a set-up. meant to get the extortion on tape, and that is how the police
2:41 pm
became involved in this, charging robert "joe" halderman who has pleaded guilty for second degree grand larceny. he has been given six months in jail, five years probation, and 1,000 hours of community service, and 500 of those in new york and 500 in connecticut. i want to shift gears right now. i want to talk about retirement. i promised i would give you specific details on retirement. so many of you don't know if you have enough money or don't know how much money you should need. i want to show you a few things. this is a new survey that is out that shows that there are a lot of americans with just no, not enough retirement and savings. this is from the benefits and research institute for employees. 68% who responded said they have less than half saved. that is the vast majority. second group, less than 10,000, that is what 43% of you said. 11% have more $250,000 saved for retirement. that will give you a sense of what retirement will cost. this is an alarming number to
2:42 pm
know that few people have more than $250,000 saved for retirement. 16% of respondents said they do have confidence in their ability to save enough money for a comfortable retirement. that is the good news. this, by the way s the second lowest number in the 20-year history of the survey. why do you not have enough money for retirement? why are people not saved up? well, the reasons are that 79% say they can't afford to save. too much of the money is going to other expenses. 6% say they have other priorities. 6% have other priorities, and i think they planned to marry rich or win the lottery. 5% have not found the time. well, what are you waiting for? find the time. 4% say they have plenty of time to save. so maybe a younger generation, although it is much easier to save money when you are young and start putting it altogether. but finally, i want to know how you know how much money you need for retirement? how much do you need? 44% of you, question mark.
2:43 pm
44%, guess. folks, it is the age of the internet, stop guessing. 26% of you don't bother guessing, and come up with your own estimate. and 18% use a financial adviser, and 9% read or hear. so at least there are some people doing it, but guessing? i don't know about that. poppy harlow joins me now, and she is sis an anchor for your she is going to talk about the way poverty is calculated. >> well, it does, because many people want to know how poverty lineses are drawn. we went out to the streets of new york, and it is not the masses, because it is extremely expensive place to live, but we wanted to know what they think constitutes the poverty level. >> i would say anything less than $60,000 would be poverty for a family of four. >> for income, $40, $45,000.
2:44 pm
>> $15,000. >> a family with $80,000 for a family of four is below poverty line. >> okay. they were all wrong. $80,000 was very far off. this is the number, ali, according to the 209 feder09 guidelines, $22,050 is the number. this is key in medicaid, welfare and food stamps. it is a low number, many would argue, and it has not been changed in 40 years. that is why the obama administration is coming in to announcing in the past few days, that we want to look at changing this, so we can have a more accurate read on what and who is living beneath that poverty line in the country. here is why. take another listen. >> the administration is basically proposed to produce a supplemental poverty measure to be produced next to the official measure, and will not replace
2:45 pm
nit any way, but lit will give s a second lenses and another way to look at the issues. >> ali, all well and good to have the second lenses, but the question i'm left with here is that it won't affect how much money at least at this point is doled out to the people who need it, but going to advised policy makers, ali. >> what are we talking about here? what is the number? >> when we look at this number, i want to take new york as an example, because we don't know yet what the new guidelines are going to be, but take the example of new york and we go by the federal guidelines in 2008 in new york, people making almost $22,000 or less were considered in poverty. but if you look at new york city, they created this city created its own calculation to say who is living in poverty and who is not, and their threshold if you will was over $30,000. the difference in the amount of people it affects is 350,000 more people in one city alone were qualified as living in
2:46 pm
poverty when you go by these new guidelines that new york city has. that is a prime example if you multiply it across the country, we are likely facing more people living in poverty than we are acknowledging with the guidelines we are going with, and that is why the obama administration is taking it on. it is not getting the headlines in the wake of everything else that the administration is dealing w but it is important to the state of economy right now. >> you can see poppy on i told you i would tell you how much you would need to retire. i give you that information, but you can go to, and you can go to the retirement calculator. those who are guessing, don't d that. financial advisers say you need to save 10% of your salary in order to be successful in retirement, but that kind of depends upon when you started saving, so it is different for everybody. many people think you need 80% of your pre-retirement salary to exist. so when you go into the
2:47 pm
calculators it will ask you how much you want to live on and you have to think about the fact that you won't have the same expenses that you have while you are working, but nones with. you might want to travel or have a vacation home or membership at a golf club. think about it, but don't guess. go to and hit on the retirement calculator and find out how much you need to retire. that is me and the money side. now we are switching over to a brilliant ed henry who is standing by for "ed henry segment." are you wearing pinstripes? we have tony harris, and roland martin, and now ed henry, and myself in pinstripes. stay with us. we will hear from ed henry on the other side of the break. and make it happen. i'm janet long and i formed my toffee company through legalzoom. i never really thought i would make money doing what i love. [ robert ] we created legalzoom to help people
2:48 pm
start their business and launch their dreams. go to today and make your business dream a reality. at we put the law on your side. andsfx: can shaking op dream a reality. when you own a business, nothing beats the sound of saving time and money. and it's never been simpler to save - with regions lifegreen checkg and savings for business. you'll enjoy free online and mobile banking. and with regions quick deposit, you can deposit checks right from your desk. drop by and get started with a business financial review through a regions cashcor analysis. it's how business gets into the rhym of saving. regions it's time to expect more.
2:49 pm
2:50 pm
all right. ed henry, there you are. i'm so concentrated on my topic list for you, ed, because it has to do with nudity. >> yeah, well, yeah. >> help me out here. why are we talking about nudity? we talked about nudity yesterday which was a first for the "ed henry show." >> yes, it was a all-time low. and this gift that keeps on giving in a way and not for democrats and what happened in the briefing room is that it is a funny behind the scenes moment, before robert gibbs came
2:51 pm
out, some of my colleagues from the newspapers and other networks were saying, who is going to ask the rahm emanuel naked in the shower question. >> so ron massa's retirement. >> he resigns and says that he is leaving, because he is a no on health care and last year rahm emanuel was naked in the house jim, and so was the senator massa and jammed a finger in his chest, and naked campaign going on. so there was no briefing yesterday, so the question today was who is going to ask the question. so the person lobbying on health care. so i thought, here is the tran circumstances robert, we are talking about lobbying, and have you talked about rahm emanuel about the naked procedures around here. he turned red and laughed. he said, you can e-mail him if you want to. and then i followed up on mas
2:52 pm
sashgs a, and they are frustrated, because the congressman who is gone has changed the story three or four times because he is leaving. first, he had cancer, then ethics investigation and now that democrats pushed him out. so the whole naked shower thing is a weird sidebar to give the story legs, so-to-speak, but everyone wants this one down the drain. they think it has gone down the drain. >> no kidding. so once you got past that, did you talk about health care? >> it is interesting, because some my colleagues were talking about the deadline of march 18th, of when the president leaves for indonesia and australia. you have heard the deadlines come and go. last year, it was done before july and august recess and labor day -- they have all come and gone. last week robert gibbs said, this is for real, the house and senate have to get it done. our capitol hill producer today said that he was in a briefing with steny hoyer who said,
2:53 pm
robert gibbs set that deadline and we didn't, and it won't happen. some of my colleagues pressed robert gibbs about it, and said that the deadline is firm. but a lot of the democrats in the town didn't belief it is going to be done by the 18th, so here is the president's domestic agenda hanging in the balance. >> there is no surprise that they don't have a meeting around here saying, don't give a deadline around here. >> if they can't get on the communications page of when this thing will get done raises questions of whether it can get done, and the final point about it is that someone asked about if the president's trip to indonesia's trip get delayed and robert gibbs answered carefully, to stay behind to lobby, and he said, he is planning to go to indonesia and that obviously leaves the door open to change. he is not saying that he is changing his schedule, but if it is done to crunch time, and he
2:54 pm
can wait a week to get it done, le wait a week. >> and i understand this morning you were taking care of business with a hat on? >> well, back to massa this morning, and the whole idea of naked lobbying. you have to be prepared for what is going on. i was getting ready for the meeting and i had a video system that is new and i had my hat on. >> it is like this video thing, and -- >> well, i was trying out an individual owe conferencing and way of doing business. that is all. >> and i was saying that if you brought a hat to the ed henry segment, it would be strong. >> well, now that you are bringing the stripes. four guys at cn wearing the striped suits today. i will send you a memo, you and tony harris and roland about what is going on. ed, good to see you my friend. we do it everyday, our white house correspondent, and takes unside, but with the shower thing, he took us too far inside to tell us what is going on. when we come back, an
2:55 pm
interesting story about a toddler, a little kid thrown out of school in colorado for not the of reasons. stay with me, and i will tell you what i think about that.
2:56 pm
2:57 pm
time for xyz of it and by the wavy gotten in trouble from some of the viewers talking about gay marriage, and talking about public schools and guess what, i am about to tackle a matter of faith, religion and education, and a child in bolder, colorado. i don't know the child's name and whether it is a boy or girl and i would not tell you if i did, because he or she is at the center of a painful controversy that you heard me talk about earlier today. the child was enrolled in a catholic preschool sacred heart of jesus, but not allowed to reenroll in the fall not because of anything that the child di or did not do or lack of space, but because the child's parents are lesbians. the child is not welcomed at the school, because he or she is raised be asame-sex couple.
2:58 pm
some people gathered after mass, and here is what one of them had to say to our affiliate. >> i have a daughter here that goes to school at sacred heart and i have had 16 years of catholic education, and this reached the core of my being as completely wrong and against the teachings of jesus. >> that was outside of the mass. inside of the mass, the pastor defended the decision. some say that the archdiocese of denver decided for him once they got wind of the child's parents. the response was parents living in open discord with catholic teaching choose by their actions to disqualify their children from enrollment. and so does father brez lynn li the child is to learn teachings at school that is in conflict with at home. this is america, and catholic schools and private institutions are fully within their rights to
2:59 pm
accept or reject anyone they choose, and believe me, i am not taking sides, but how many other parents of sacred hearts are scrutinized for the teachings of the catholic church and how many are turned away from the sins of their parents, and in this case, what would jesus do. here is rick sanchez. here is what is making "the list." jobs, jobs, jobs, like in france, but in america. look at the pushback. too many drinks, inappropriate come-on to a staffer and a resignation. >> do you know how awkward it is to have an argument with a naked man? >> what is his story? and he reached a barely controllable 94 miles an hour. he says he could not stop his


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on